Scores summary: South Africa 286 (AB de Villiers 65, Faf du Plessis 62; Bhuvneshwar Kumar 4/87) and 130 (Mohammed Shami 3/28, Jasprit Bumrah 3/39) beat India 209 (Hardik Pandya 93; Vernon Philander 3/33, Kagiso Rabada 3/34) and 135 (Ravichandran Ashwin 37; Vernon Philander 6/42, Morne Morkel 2/39, Kagiso Rabada 2/41)
- Debutant: Jasprit Bumrah became India’s 290th Test player, having been handed his Test debut ahead of the specialists, Ishant Sharma and Umesh Yadav.
- Head to head: The 72-run loss in Cape Town was India’s ninth Test defeat on South Africa soil, where they have won only two Tests (Johannesburg 2006, Durban 2010) to date. Seven of the 18 Tests have ended in draws.
- Vernon Philander registered his best bowling figures in a Test innings in the second innings at the PPC Newlands, taking 6 for 42 and basically leading the Proteas to a win. He finished with match figures of 9/75.
- Wicketkeeping record: Wriddhiman Saha became the first Indian wicketkeeper to affect 10 dismissals in a Test match, going past MS Dhoni’s record of nine dismissals, against Australia at the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) in 2014.
- Dale Steyn, by taking 2/51 in the first innings, became the tenth highest wicket-taker in Test cricket, with 419 wickets, going past India’s Harbhajan Singh (on 417). He is two wickets short of becoming South Africa’s highest wicket-taker in Test cricket.
- Virat Kohli suffered his fourth Test defeat as captain, in what was his 33rd Test as captain.