Brief scores: India 303/6 (Virat Kohli 160*, Shikhar Dhawan 76; Jean-Paul Duminy 2 for 60) beat South Africa 179/10 (Jean-Paul Duminy 51; Kuldeep Yadav 4 for 23, Yuzvendra Chahal 4 for 46) by 124 runs
3rd ODI, statistical highlights
- For the first time ever, India have recorded three ODI wins in a bilateral series against South Africa in South Africa, winning the third ODI by 124 runs.
- Virat Kohli made his 34th ODI century, third against South Africa and second on South African soil, with his unbeaten 160 off 159 balls driving India to 303/6 after they had been 236/6 in the 43rd over. This hundred was Kohli’s 14th while batting first; 20 have come in run-chases. The Indian captain was awarded the man of the match for this knock.
- Kohli now has the third-most ODI centuries as captain, with only AB de Villiers (13)
and Ricky Ponting (22) ahead.
- Shikhar Dhawan, playing his 99th One-Day International, made his 25th ODI half-century (a 63-ball 76), following up his unbeaten 51 in the last match.
- MS Dhoni became the fourth wicketkeeper to affect 400 ODI dismissals, joining the club of Kumar Sangakkara (482), Adam Gilchrist (472) and Mark Boucher (424).
- Kohli recorded his 36th ODI victory as captain in his 46th match (nine losses and one no result).
- Rohit Sharma was dismissed for the 12th duck of his ODI career. India have now won six and lost five ODIs—while one match ended in a no-result—when he has been dismissed for a duck.
- India have now won two ODIs, and lost two ODIs, in four matches at the Newlands in Cape Town, against South Africa.
- Kuldeep Yadav recorded his best ODI bowling figures, 4 for 23.