Brief scores: India 107 (Ravichandran Ashwin 29; James Anderson 5/20) and 130 (R Ashwin 33*, Hardik Pandya 26; James Anderson 4/23, Stuart Broad 4/44) lost to England 396/7 dec. (Chris Woakes 137*, Jonny Bairstow 93, Sam Curran 40; Mohammed Shami 3/96) by an innings and 159 runs
- India’s twin batting failures at Lord’s consigned them to a massive defeat in the second Test of the five-match series. This is India’s 32nd Test defeat on English soil and 45th against England in 119 Tests.
- Ollie Pope became the 687th player to play Test cricket for England, replacing Dawid Malan in England’s playing XI for the second Test.
- Chris Woakes’s maiden Test hundred and Jonny Bairstow’s 19th Test half-century set up England’s big win at the Home of Cricket, after the English bowlers bowled India out for a paltry 107 on the second day of the Test. Woakes won the man-of-the-match award for his performances with bat and ball.
- James Anderson took 5/20 in the first innings (his best bowling performance in an innings in 2018) to help bowl the visitor out for a small first-innings score after Joe Root had won the toss and chosen to bowl first.
- Anderson also became only the second bowler in Test history to take 100 Test wickets at a venue (Lord’s), emulating the feat achieved by Muttiah Muralidharan, who took 100 Test wickets at three venues in Sri Lanka.
- Stuart Broad became the 10th highest wicket-taker in Test cricket with 424 wickets by taking 5/81 in the match.
- Virat Kohli suffered his first innings defeat as India’s Test captain and the seventh loss overall.