Brief scores: India 336/5 (Rohit Sharma 140, Virat Kohli 77, KL Rahul 57; Mohammad Amir 3/47) beat Pakistan 212/6 (Fakhar Zaman 62, Babar Azam 48; Vijay Shankar 2/22, Kuldeep Yadav 2/32, Hardik Pandya 2/44) by 89 runs by DLS method
India vs Pakistan World Cup 2019, key stats
- Rohit Sharma grabbed the initiative for India with an assertive start against the Pakistan new-ball bowlers and then kicked on to lay the foundation for India’s big total with a 113-ball 140 (14 fours, 3 sixes). It was Rohit Sharma’s 24th ODI century and his second of this World Cup.
- Rohit’s knock was complemented by KL Rahul scoring his third ODI half-century (a 78-ball 57) and captain Virat Kohli making his 51st ODI half-century (a 65-ball 77), helping India reach 336 for five after being put in to bat by Pakistan captain Sarfaraz Ahmed. Kohli also became the fastest batsman to reach 11000 runs in ODI cricket, getting to the landmark in 222 innings, bettering Sachin Tendulkar’s record of 276 innings.
- In Pakistan’s chase of 337, Fakhar Zaman scored his fourth ODI half-century (a 75-ball 62) but couldn’t convert it into a 100-plus score that might have helped his team make a better fist of it.
- This was India’s seventh consecutive win over Pakistan in World Cups, while this was their 55th overall in 132 ODIs against the arch-rivals.
- Captaining India for the 72nd time in ODIs, Kohli recorded his 52nd win.