Brief scores: India 296/7 (KL Rahul 112, Shreyas Iyer 62; Hamish Bennett 4/64) lost to New Zealand 300/5 (Henry Nicholls 80, Martin Guptill 66, Colin de Grandhomme 58*; Yuzvendra Chahal 3/47) by 5 wickets
India vs New Zealand 3rd ODI 2020, key stats
- India suffered their first ODI series whitewash since 1989 after losing the third ODI to New Zealand by five wickets at Bay Oval in Mount Maunganui.
- Half-centuries from Henry Nicholls, Martin Guptill and Colin de Grandhomme helped ease their way to the target of 297. It was Guptill’s 37th ODI fifty (a 46-ball 66; 6×4, 4×6) that set the pace for the run-chase. Nicholls batted time for a 103-ball 80, his 11th ODI half-century, while de Grandhomme’s unbeaten 28-ball 58, his fourth fifty in 50-over international cricket, ensured New Zealand didn’t suffer a late collapse that had been the theme of their T20I series defeat to India
- Earlier, KL Rahul’s fourth ODI century, a 113-ball 112 (9×4, 2×6), helped India post 296 for seven after being put in to bat by New Zealand captain Kane Williamson, who return to the playing XI after recovering from a shoulder injury
- It was India’s 49th ODI defeat to New Zealand
- Captaining India for the 90th time in ODIs, Virat Kohli suffered his 24th defeat