Brief scorecard: Australia 374/6 (Aaron Finch 114, Steve Smith 105, David Warner 69; Mohammed Shami 3/59) beat India 308/8 (Hardik Pandya 90, Shikhar Dhawan 74; Adam Zampa 4/54, Josh Hazlewood 3/55) by 66 runs
Australia vs India 1st ODI 2020, stats
- Australia won the first ODI of the three-match series at the Sydney Cricket Ground, beating Virat Kohli-led India by 66 runs.
- It was Australia’s 79th ODI victory over India and their 37th against India on home soil.
- The victory was set up by centuries from captain Aaron Finch and Steven Smith. Finch made a 124-ball 114, his 17th century in one-day cricket, while Smith made his 10th one-day century and the third-fastest by an Australian batsman, behind Glenn Maxwell (51 balls) and James Faulkner (57 balls). He reached the landmark in 62 balls and was dismissed for a 66-ball 105.
- Australia’s 374 for six is their highest ODI total against India.
- In reply, India remained in the hunt for a record run-chase with half-centuries from Hardik Pandya (90 off 76 balls) and Shikhar Dhawan (74 off 86 balls). Playing his first one-day international since September 2019, Pandya made his fifth ODI half-century. He became the fastest Indian batsman to reach 1000 runs in one-day cricket, reaching the landmark in 857 balls. It was Dhawan’s 30th fifty in ODI.
- The loss was Kohli’s 25th as India’s one-day captain.