Brief scorecard: India 161/7 (KL Rahul 51, Ravindra Jadeja 44*; Moises Henriques 3/22, Mitchell Starc 2/34) beat Australia 150/7 (Aaron Finch 35, D’Arcy Short 34; Yuzvendra Chahal 3/25, Thangarasu Natarajan 3/30) by 11 runs
Australia vs India 1st T20I 2020, stats
- Ravindra Jadeja’s unbeaten 23-ball 44 took India to a competitive 161/7 before concussion ruled him out of bowling. It meant Yuzvendra Chahal took his place in the second half and took three for 25, including the wickets of Aaron Finch and Steven Smith, to derail Australia after a solid start to the run-chase.
- Thangarasu Natarajan became India’s 83rd player after being handed his debut and he starred with the ball, too, taking three for 30 to help India take a 1-0 series lead with an 11-run win. Glenn Maxwell was Natarajan’s first T20I wicket.
- Australian captain Finch had earlier won the toss and chosen to field. KL Rahul made his 12th T20I half-century, a 40-ball 51, to provide India with a reasonable foundation after the early dismissal of Shikhar Dhawan.
- The victory was India’s 12th in 21 T20Is against Australia. It was their sixth win against Australia Down Under.
- Captain Virat Kohli registered his 23rd win as skipper.