Brief scorecard: Australia 186/5 (Matthew Wade 80, Glenn Maxwell 54; Washington Sundar 2/34) beat India 174/7 (Virat Kohli 85, Shikhar Dhawan 28; Mitchell Swepson 3/23) by 12 runs
Australia vs India 3rd T20I 2020, stats
- Australia denied India a clean sweep of the three-match T20I series with a 12-run win in the third match at Sydney Cricket Ground.
- Matthew Wade’s third T20I half-century (53-ball 80) and Glenn Maxwell’s eighth fifty (36-ball 54) propelled Australia to 186 for five after India captain Virat Kohli won the toss and chose to field first. Each of Wade’s T20I half-centuries has come against India, while this is his highest score in the format.
- In reply, the Indian innings followed a similar pattern to Australia’s with vice-captain KL Rahul dismissed off the second ball before Shikhar Dhawan and Kohli put together the only substantial partnership (of 74) of the innings.
- Kohli went on to make his 25th T20I half-century, a 61-ball 85, and kept India in the hunt even as the required run-rate soared to 15.20 with five overs left.
- His and Hardik Pandya’s dismissal in subsequent overs stopped India from making the series scoreline 3-0.
- The defeat was India’s ninth in T20Is against Australia.
- It was also Kohli’s 12th T20I defeat as India captain.