Brief scorecard: England 578/10 (Joe Root 218, Dom Sibley 87, Ben Stokes 82; Jasprit Bumrah 3/84, Ravichandran Ashwin 3/146) and 178/10 (Root 40; Ashwin 6/61, Shahbaz Nadeem 2/66) beat India 337/10 (Rishabh Pant 91, Washington Sundar 85*, Cheteshwar Pujara 73; Dom Bess 4/76, James Anderson 2/46) and 192/10 (Virat Kohli 72, Shubman Gill 50; Jack Leach 4/76, James Anderson 3/17) by 227 runs
India vs England 1st Test 2021, stats
- Touring England comprehensively beat India by 227 runs in the first Test of the 2021 Anthony de Mello Trophy, played at the MA Chidambaram Stadium in Chennai.
- England captain Joe Root set up the victory with his 20th Test century and fifth double-hundred in the format as he continued his excellent batting form in 2021 with a 377-ball 218 in the first innings.
- He also became the first Test batsman to make a double-hundred in his 100th Test match.
- Root added another feather to his cap by equalling Michael Vaughan’s tally of 26 Test wins (in 47 Tests) as England captain. It is the joint-most number of Test wins by an England skipper.
- India off-spinner Ravichandran Ashwin bagged his 28th Test five-wicket haul, his 6 for 61 in England’s second innings restricting the visitors to 178 after having gained a 241-run first-innings lead
- Fast bowler Ishant Sharma became the sixth Indian and the country’s third pacer to pick 300 Test wickets. Dan Lawrence was his 300th Test victim.
- It was India’s 14th home Test defeat to England
- Leading India for the 57th time in Test cricket, captain Virat Kohli suffered his 14th defeat