Brief scorecard: England 205/10 (Ben Stokes 55, Dan Lawrence 46; Axar Patel 4/68, Ravichandran Ashwin 3/47) and 135/10 (Lawrence 50, Joe Root 30; Ashwin 5/47, Patel 5/48) lost to India 365/10 (Rishabh Pant 101, Washington Sundar 96*; Ben Stokes 4/89, James Anderson 3/44) by an innings and 25 runs
India vs England 4th Test 2021, stats
- India sealed their place in the inaugural World Test Championship final after hammering England by an innings and 25 runs in the fourth and final Test at the new Narendra Modi Stadium in Ahmedabad.
- It was India’s 29th Test win against England overall and their 22nd on home soil.
- Rishabh Pant’s third Test hundred and his first on home soil (a 118-ball 101) and Washington Sundar’s unbeaten 96, his highest Test score, helped India take a 160-run first-innings lead and set up the victory well inside the third day.
- Ravichandran Ashwin and Axar Patel then ran riot with the ball on the third afternoon as both finished with five-wicket hauls in England’s second innings to secure an innings victory for the home side.
- It was Ashwin’s 30th five-wicket haul in Test cricket, equalling James Anderson’s tally of most five-fors in the format.
- Ashwin’s 32 wickets are also his most in one series, bettering his tally of 29 in the four-match Test series against Australia in 2013.
- Axar finished his dream debut series with 27 wickets, which are the joint-most by an Indian spinner along with Dilip Doshi, who took the same number of scalps in a six-match Test series against Australia in 1979.
- India captain Virat Kohli equalled former West Indies captain Clive Lloyd on 36 Test wins with the innings victory. The series win was also his 10th successive as India’s Test captain.