Brief scorecard: India 124/7 (Shreyas Iyer 67, Rishabh Pant 21; Jofra Archer 3/23, Adil Rashid 1/14, Mark Wood 1/20) lost to England 130/2 (Jason Roy 49, Jos Buttler 28; Washington Sundar 1/18, Yuzvendra Chahal 1/44) by 8 wickets
India vs England 1st T20I 2021, stats
- A strong, all-round display from England, led by Jofra Archer’s three for 23 and Jason Roy’s 32-ball 49 at the top of the order, helped beat India by wickets and take a 1-0 lead in the five-match T20I series.
- It was India’s eighth T20I defeat against England in the 15th meeting between the teams.
- Batting first after Eoin Morgan won the toss and chose to field, India were beset by the early dismissals of KL Rahul (1), captain Virat Kohli (0) and Shikhar Dhawan (4).
- Shreyas Iyer, walking in to bat with India three down for 20, held the innings together with a solid 48-ball 67. It was his third T20I half-century and also his highest score in the format, helping India finish with 124 for seven having been four down for 48 after 10 overs.
- The target of 125 proved to be a stroll for England, who sealed the run-chase with 27 balls to spare and with eight wickets in hand.
- Leading India for the 41st time in T20I cricket, Kohli suffered his 13th defeat.