Brief scorecard: England 164/6 (Jason Roy 46, Eoin Morgan 28; Shardul Thakur 2/29, Washington Sundar 2/29) lost to India 166/3 (Virat Kohli 73*, Ishan Kishan 56; Sam Curran 1/22) by 7 wickets
India vs England 2nd T20I 2021, stats
- Half-centuries from debutant Ishan Kishan and captain Virat Kohli helped India level the five-match T20I series 1-1 after they successfully chased down 165 and won the second T20 International by seven wickets at Narendra Modi Stadium in Ahmedabad.
- It was India’s eighth T20I victory against England in the 16th meeting between the teams.
- Kishan and Suryakumar Yadav became India’s 84th and 85th T20I players respectively after replacing Shikhar Dhawan and Axar Patel respectively and making their international debuts.
- After being dismissed for consecutive ducks in his last two international innings, Kohli hit an unbeaten half-century, an unbeaten 49-ball 73, as he held the innings together around the adventure provided by Kishan and Rishabh Pant. It was the Indian captain’s 26th T20I fifty as he also reached 3000 runs in T20 International cricket, becoming the first batsman to the feat.
- Kohli also ticked off another record as he became the fastest to reach 12000 runs as captain across formats in international cricket (226 innings).
- Leading India for the 42nd time in T20I cricket, the win was Kohli’s 25th as captain.