Brief scorecard: Sri Lanka 262/9 (Chamika Karunaratne 43*, Dasun Shanaka 39, Charith Asalanka 38; Deepak Chahar 2/37, Kuldeep Yadav 2/48, Yuzvendra Chahal 2/52) lost to India 263/3 (Shikhar Dhawan 86*, Ishan Kishan 59, Prithvi Shaw 43, Suryakumar Yadav 31*; Dhananjaya de Silva 2/49) by 7 wickets
India vs Sri Lanka 1st ODI 2021, stats
- India stamped their authority across all facets of the sport to thump Sri Lanka by seven wickets in the first one-day international at R Premadasa Stadium in Colombo.
- Bowling first, India restricted Sri Lanka to 262 for nine with Deepak Chahar, Kuldeep Yadav and Yuzvendra Chahal taking two wickets apiece.
- The batting line-up barely broke a sweat in chasing 263 as India coasted home with 80 balls to spare.
- Stand-in captain Shikhar Dhawan top-scored for India with an unbeaten 95-ball 86, his 33rd ODI half-century. He also went past 6000 runs in one-day cricket and became the four-fastest (140 innings) to the landmark. The Delhi southpaw provided the ideal foil for the more flamboyant Prithvi Shaw and, later, Ishan Kishan, both of whom scored at well over a run-a-ball to break the back of the chase.
- The victory was India’s 92nd in ODIs against Sri Lanka, while they also stretched their winning streak in ODIs against the islanders in Sri Lanka to nine.
- Dhawan and Sri Lanka’s Dasun Shanaka made their captaincy debuts, becoming the countries’ 25th ODI captain. The former stood in for Virat Kohli, while Shanaka was appointed captain for the series amid the turmoil in Sri Lankan cricket.
- Kishan and Suryakumar Yadav made their ODI debuts for India, becoming the 235th and 236th players to play 50-over cricket for the country. Kishan batted at No. 3 and made a stroke-filled 42-ball 59, an innings punctuated by eight fours and two sixes (he opened his account in one-day cricket with a six off Dhananjaya de Silva).
- Kishan’s fifty off 33 balls is the second-fastest by a debutant in ODIs.