Brief scorecard: Sri Lanka 275/9 (Charith Asalanka 65, Avishka Fernando 50, Chamika Karunaratne 44*; Yuzvendra Chahal 3/50, Bhuvneshwar Kumar 3/54) lost to India 277/7 (Deepak Chahar 69*, Suryakumar Yadav 53; Wanindu Hasaranga 3/37, Dasun Shanaka 1/10) by 3 wickets
India vs Sri Lanka 2nd ODI 2021, stats
- Deepak Chahar made his highest List-A score—an unbeaten 69 off 82 balls, also his maiden half-century in ODI cricket—and shared an unbroken 84-run partnership with Bhuvneshwar Kumar for the eighth wicket as India snatched victory from the jaws of defeat in the second ODI of the three-match series. The result gave the visitors an unassailable 2-0 lead.
- Having reduced India to 193 for seven and with all their frontline bowlers having plenty of overs up their sleeve, Sri Lanka failed to make the pressure count as Chahar and Bhuvneshwar assumed control after getting their eye in. The defeat was Sri Lanka’s ninth in ODIs in 2021, having won just one in ten.
- It was India’s 93rd victory in one-day cricket over the island nation, while they also extended their streak of victories in ODIs in Sri Lanka to 10, last losing one way back in 2012.
- Before Chahar and Bhuvneshwar got together, Suryakumar Yadav produced another elegant knock in his embryonic international career before being outfoxed by Lakshan Sandakan’s chinaman. He made his maiden ODI fifty, a 44-ball 53, which featured six fours.
- Playing his fourth ODI, Charith Asalanka made his maiden half-century, a 68-ball 65 which helped Sri Lanka progress steadily in the latter half of the innings and provide a base heading into the last 10 overs.
- Opener Avishka Fernando gave Sri Lanka another solid start and this time carried on to make his fourth half-century in ODIs. He made 50 off 71 balls before miscuing an attempted pull shot off Bhuvneshwar.
- India’s victory was their second in ODIs under the captaincy of Shikhar Dhawan, who retained his 100 percent win record.