Brief scorecard: India 225/10 (Prithvi Shaw 49, Sanju Samson 46, Suryakumar Yadav 40; Akila Dananjaya 3/44, Praveen Jayawickrama 3/59) lost to Sri Lanka 227/7 (Avishka Fernando 76, Bhanuka Rajapaksa 65; Rahul Chahar 3/54, Chetan Sakariya 2/34) by 3 wickets on DLS method
India vs Sri Lanka 3rd ODI 2021, stats
- Sri Lanka stemmed their recent string of losses with a three-wicket win in the third ODI and gained crucial World Cup Super League points, while denying a much-changed Indian line-up a series whitewash too.
- It was Sri Lanka’s first ODI win against India on home soil since 2012, ending a streak of 10 consecutive wins for India.
- It was Sri Lanka’s 57th win overall against India in one-day cricket.
- A rain interruption midway through the Indian innings, after captain Shikhar Dhawan won the toss and elected to bat first, derailed a progressive batting performance from the visitors, who were 147 for three after 23 overs when play was suspended. Upon resumption, India slipped from 154 for three to 195 for eight before eventually being bowled out for 225.
- That set Sri Lanka a DLS target of 227 in 47 overs. Opener Avishka Fernando and No. 3 Bhanuka Rajapaksa put on a 109-run partnership for the second wicket to set the home side on their way. Fernando made a 98-ball 76, his fifth ODI half-century, while Rajapaksa made 65 off 56 balls, his maiden ODI fifty.
- Having taken an unassailable 2-0 lead coming into the 3rd ODI, India made six changes to their playing XI, handing debuts to five players: Sanju Samson, Krishnappa Gowtham, Nitish Rana, Rahul Chahar and Chetan Sakariya. It is the most number of debuts handed out by a Test-playing nation in an ODI against Sri Lanka.
- India’s defeat was their first under Dhawan’s captaincy, which was tested as India aimed to defend a low total on a batsmen-friendly pitch.