Brief scorecard: India 164/5 (Suryakumar Yadav 50, Shikhar Dhawan 46; Dushmantha Chameera 2/24, Wanindu Hasaranga 2/28) beat Sri Lanka 126/10 (Charith Asalanka 44, Avishka Fernando 26; Bhuvneshwar Kumar 4/22, Deepak Chahar 2/24) by 38 runs
Statistical highlights of India vs Sri Lanka 1st T20I 2021
- India’s bowlers led the way as the visitors beat Sri Lanka by 38 runs in the first T20 International at R Premadasa Stadium to go 1-0 up in the three-match series.
- It was India’s 14th T20I win against Sri Lanka.
- Put in to bat by Sri Lanka captain Dasun Shanaka, India scored 164 for five in 20 overs. Led by Bhuvneshwar Kumar’s four-for (4/22), India then bowled out Sri Lanka for 126 in the 19th over.
- With the four-wicket haul, Bhuvneshwar reached 200 wickets in T20 cricket.
- Playing his third T20I, India’s Suryakumar Yadav made a stroke-filled 34-ball 50, his second half-century in the format. Walking in to bat with India two down for 51, Suryakumar forged a 62-run partnership for the third wicket with captain Shikhar Dhawan as the pair maintained a good run-rate through the middle overs. Suryakumar showcased his wide range of shots and accrued runs all around the ground, hitting five fours and two sixes.
- Prithvi Shaw and Varun Chakravarthy made their T20I debuts for India, becoming the 86th and 87th players to represent the country in the shortest format.
- Sri Lanka, too, handed debuts to two players, with Charith Asalanka and Chamika Karunaratne becoming the 87th and 88th T20I players for the island nation.
- Dhawan, standing in for Virat Kohli, became India’s seventh T20I captain.