Brief scorecard: India 132/5 (Shikhar Dhawan 40, Devdutt Padikkal 29; Akila Dananjaya 2/29, Dasun Shanaka 1/14) lost to Sri Lanka 133/6 (Dhananjaya de Silva 40*, Minod Bhanuka 36; Kuldeep Yadav 2/30, Varun Chakravarthy 1/18) by 4 wickets
Statistical highlights of India vs Sri Lanka 2nd T20I 2021
- Sri Lanka edged a low-scoring second T20 International against India by four wickets and with two balls to spare, thereby helping themselves to a series-leveling win.
- Dhananjaya de Silva’s unbeaten 40 off 34 balls tipped the scales in Sri Lanka’s favour after India’s spinners had managed to put the squeeze on the scoring rate through the middle overs. Chamika Karunaratne’s unbeaten six-ball 12, which included a six off Bhuvneshwar Kumar in the 19th over, was decisive for the hosts once they got within striking distance of the target (133).
- It was Sri Lanka’s sixth T20I win over India in the 20th meeting between the teams.
- With as many as nine players forced to isolate after Krunal Pandya tested positive for COVID-19, India had four debutants – Ruturaj Gaikwad (88th T20I player for the country), Devdutt Padikkal (89th), Nitish Rana (90th) and Chetan Sakariya (91st) in their playing XI.
- The defeat was India’s first in T20Is under the captaincy of Shikhar Dhawan.