Brief scorecard: India 81/8 (Kuldeep Yadav 23*; Wanindu Hasaranga 4/9, Dasun Shanaka 2/20) lost to Sri Lanka 82/3 (Dhananjaya de Silva 23*, Minod Bhanuka 18; Rahul Chahar 3/15) by 7 wickets
Statistical highlights of India vs Sri Lanka 3rd T20I 2021
- India’s streak of eight consecutive T20I series wins came to an end as Wanindu Hasaranga’s spell of 4-0-9-4 set up a series-clinching seven-wicket win for Sri Lanka.
- After electing to bat first, India were restriced to 81 for eight before Sri Lanka achieved the target with 33 balls to spare. It was Sri Lanka’s seventh T20I win over India.
- The series win also snapped a streak of five consecutive series losses for Sri Lanka.
- Shikhar Dhawan became the first Indian captain to be dismissed for a first-ball duck as Dushmantha Chameera prised him out in the first over.
- India’s innings went completely downhill after Dhawan’s dismissal as they recorded their lowest-ever 10-over score—39 for five—in T20I cricket.
- India’s 81 for eight is also their third-lowest total in the format. Only an unbroken 18-run partnership for the ninth wicket between Kuldeep Yadav and Chetan Sakariya helped them avoid the record of potentially registering their lowest score in the format.
- The loss was India’s second under Dhawan’s captaincy.