Brief scorecard: India 151/7 (Virat Kohli 57, Rishabh Pant 39; Shaheen Shah Afridi 3/31, Hasan Ali 2/44) lost to Pakistan 152/0 (Mohammed Rizwan 79*, Babar Azam 68*) by 10 wickets
Statistical highlights of India vs Pakistan T20 World Cup 2021 Super 12 match
- India’s run of 12 consecutive victories at World Cups (ODI and T20) against arch-rivals Pakistan came to an end as Babar Azam and Mohammed Rizwan led Pakistan to a 10-wicket win, chasing down India’s 151 for seven.
- It was India’s worst defeat in T20 Internationals, although it was only their second T20I loss against Pakistan.
- Put in to bat, India overcame Shaheen Shah Afridi’s incisive opening spell, in which he dismissed Rohit Sharma and KL Rahul cheaply, to register 151 for seven.
- India captain Virat Kohli struck his 29th T20I half-century to lead India’s fightback. He shared a 53-run fourth-wicket partnership with Rishabh Pant, who was dismissed for 39. Kohli fell trying to accelerate India’s run-rate at the death as Shaheen Afridi got the Indian skipper to nick behind to wicketkepeer Rizwan.
- In reply, Pakistan cruised their way to the target of 152 as Rizwan and captain Azam struck unbeaten half-centuries. Rizwan made an unbeaten 79 off 55 balls, his ninth T20I fifty, while Azam scored his 21st T20I fifty, a 52-ball 68.
- The defeat was India’s 15th in 46 T20Is under Kohli’s captaincy.