Brief scorecard: India 110/7 (Ravindra Jadeja 26*, Hardik Pandya 23; Trent Boult 3/20, Ish Sodhi 2/17) lost to New Zealand 111/2 (Daryl Mitchell 49, Kane Williamson 33*; Jasprit Bumrah 2/19) by 8 wickets
Statistical highlights of India vs New Zealand T20 World Cup 2021 – Super 12 match
- Captain Virat Kohli said India weren’t “brave enough with bat or ball” in their Super 12 match against New Zealand as they slipped to an eight-wicket hammering against Kane Williamson’s men.
- It was India’s third T20I World Cup loss against the Blackcaps and their ninth defeat overall in 17 T20Is between the teams.
- Put in to bat first, India’s batting stumbled its way to 110 for seven with Ravindra Jadeja top-scoring with an unbeaten 26. Trent Boult was New Zealand’s best bowler with figures of 4-0-20-3. Ish Sodhi, who celebrated his 29th birthday, dismissed Kohli (9 off 17) and Rohit Sharma (14 off 14) in successive overs to assert control for New Zealand. His match-changing bowling effort won him the man-of-the-match award.
- Chasing 111, New Zealand secured victory with 5.3 overs to spare to move third in Group 2, while India’s own fortunes of reaching the semi-finals hinge on the results of other matches (in addition to winning each of their three remaining fixtures).
- The defeat was India’s 16th in 47 T20Is under Kohli’s captaincy.