Brief scores: India 287/6 (Rishabh Pant 85, KL Rahul 55, Shardul Thakur 40*; Tabraiz Shamsi 2/57, Aiden Markram 1/34) lost to South Africa 288/3 (Janneman Malan 91, Quinton de Kock 78; Shardul Thakur 1/35, Jasprit Bumrah 1/37) by 7 wickets
Statistical highlights of South Africa vs India 2nd ODI 2022
- South Africa secured an unassailable 2-0 lead in the three-match ODI series as they registered a seven-wicket win in the second ODI at Boland Park in Paarl.
- Chasing 288, the home team made light work of a stiff chase and romped home with 11 balls to spare.
- It was South Africa’s 48th victory in ODIs against India and their 24th against the Men In Blue on home soil.
- It is the highest target successfully chased by any side at Boland Park in Paarl, where 250 for two by South Africa against Sri Lanka had been the previous-best.
- For India, this is their third away ODI series defeat since 2020, having lost to New Zealand and Sri Lanka previously.
- Quinton de Kock and Janneman Malan put together their second hundred-plus partnership in ODIs as they provided South Africa with the perfect start. The opening pair added 132 runs as they scored in excess of six runs per over, with de Kock the dominant partner.
- De Kock made his 27th ODI fifty (a 66-ball 78), while Malan notched up his third half-century (a 108-ball 91). The pair put the Proteas in the ascendancy and eventually chase down 288 with ease.
- Earlier, KL Rahul and Rishabh Pant shared a 115-run partnership for the second wicket as they helped India recover from losing two wickets (Shikhar Dhawan and Virat Kohli) in quick succession.
- Pant made his highest ODI score (85) and his fourth fifty in the format as he set the tempo for the innings, with Rahul anchoring at the other end. Rahul went on to make his first ODI fifty as captain, as he made a 79-ball 55 before falling to Sisanda Magala.
- India’s loss was their second in ODIs under Rahul’s captaincy.