Brief scores: West Indies 157/7 (Nicholas Pooran 61, Kyle Mayers 31; Ravi Bishnoi 2/17, Harshal Patel 2/37) lost to India 162/4 (Rohit Sharma 40, Ishan Kishan 35, Suryakumar Yadav 34*; Roston Chase 2/14) by 6 wickets
Statistical highlights of India vs West Indies 1st T20I 2022
- India were challenged by a resourceful West Indies side in dewy conditions at the Eden Gardens, but the home team showed their class with bat and ball to seal a six-wicket win in the first T20 International.
- It was their 11th win in 18 T20Is against the West Indies, whom they have now beaten six times in the format on home soil.
- An unbroken 48-run fifth-wicket partnership between Suryakumar Yadav (34*) and Venkatesh Iyer (23*) helped India win with six balls to spare after West Indies had clawed their way back into the match by removing former captain Virat Kohli (17) and India’s vice-captain for the series, Rishabh Pant (8), in quick succession.
- Captain Rohit Sharma, with a 19-ball 40, had given India a quick start in their pursuit of 158 as he opened alongside Ishan Kishan. Rohit struck three sixes and four fours in a stroke-filled, typically elegant knock. But his dismissal robbed India of momentum. Kishan, Kohli and Pant struggled for fluency as Roston Chase bowled four frugal overs in which he conceded 14 runs and prised out Rohit and Kishan.
- Earlier, India handed an international debut to leg-spinner Ravi Bishnoi, who became the 95th T20I player, with Yuzvendra Chahal presenting him the senior India cap.
- As India bowled first, Chahal and Bishnoi combined to strangle the big-hitting West Indies batting line-up, with Bishnoi, in particular, tying down the batsmen with his flat and accurate leg-spin.
- Bishnoi trapped Chase leg-before and then had Rovman Powell holing out to long-on with another googly, a variation he uses way more than his stock ball. On debut, he finished with figures of 4-0-17-2, earning him the man-of-the-match award.
- The victory was India’s 19th in 23 T20Is under Rohit’s captaincy.