Brief scores: Sri Lanka 183/5 (Pathum Nissanka 75, Dasun Shanaka 47*; Jasprit Bumrah 1/24) lost to India 186/3 (Shreyas Iyer 74*, Ravindra Jadeja 45*, Sanju Samson 39; Lahiru Kumara 2/31) by 7 wickets
Statistical highlights of India vs Sri Lanka 2nd T20I 2022
- India produced a T20I batting masterclass to chase down 184 with 17 balls to spare and secure a seven-wicket win that gave them an unassailable 2-0 lead in the three-match series.
- Shreyas Iyer led the way with the bat for India with an unbeaten 44-ball 74, his fifth T20I half-century, while Ravindra Jadeja (45* off 18 balls) and Sanju Samson (39 off 25 balls) also batted with authority and flamboyance to take apart an inconsistent Sri Lankan bowling attack which was also let down by poor ground fielding and catching.
- It was India’s 103rd T20I victory and their 16th against Sri Lanka in 24 meetings between the teams in the format.
- At the picturesque HPCA Stadium in Dharamsala, it was a run-fest with Sri Lanka accummulating 80 runs off the last five overs thanks largely to an unbeaten 47 off 19 balls by captain Dasun Shanaka to post 183 for five. Opener Pathum Nissanka made a 53-ball 75, his fifth T20I fifty, as he combined solidity against the new ball with flair to help accelerate the scoring towards the end of the innings.
- Sri Lanka’s 183 looked a formidable total, particularly after Rohit Sharma (1) and Ishan Kishan (15) fell cheaply with India two down for 44, but India forged big partnerships for the third (84 runs) and fourth wicket (58* runs) to hunt down the target with consummate ease.
- The victory was India’s 23rd in 27 T20Is under Rohit’s captaincy.