Brief scorecard: India 185/8 (Suryakumar Yadav 57, Shreyas Iyer 37, Rishabh Pant 30; Jofra Archer 4/33, Sam Curran 1/16) beat England 177/8 (Ben Stokes 46, Jason Roy 40; Shardul Thakur 3/42, Hardik Pandya 2/16) by 8 runs
India vs England 4th T20I 2021, stats
- A strong all-round display from India helped them level the five-match series with an eight-run win over England in the fourth Twenty20 International at Narendra Modi Stadium in Ahmedabad.
- India successfully defended 185 for eight batting first, with Shardul Thakur’s three for 42 helping hold off a rampaging England batting line-up, which was on course to hunt down 186 after narrowing the target down to 46 runs required off four overs.
- It was India’s ninth T20I win over England in the 18th meeting between the teams.
- Batting in international cricket for the first time, Suryakumar Yadav made a stroke-filled 31-ball 57 which provided India with the impetus during the middle phase of the innings. He struck three sixes and six fours.
- Suryakumar became the fifth Indian player to score a fifty in his maiden T20I innings and won the man-of-the-match award for his crucial knock.
- Jofra Archer was the pick of the England bowlers, finishing with figures of 4 for 33, his best bowling performance in T20I cricket.
- Rohit Sharma was dismissed cheaply for the second match in a row but not before he went past 9000 runs in T20 cricket.
- England opener Jason Roy, who made a 27-ball 40, went past 1000 T20 International runs.
- India’s victory was the 26th under Virat Kohli’s captaincy.