Brief scores: India 199/2 (Ishan Kishan 89, Shreyas Iyer 57*; Dasun Shanaka 1/19) beat Sri Lanka 137/6 (Charith Asalanka 53*; Bhuvneshwar Kumar 2/9, Venkatesh Iyer 2/36) by 62 runs
Statistical highlights of India vs Sri Lanka 1st T20I 2022
- India extended their T20I winning streak to 10 matches with a 62-run victory against the visiting Sri Lankans at the Ekana Stadium in Lucknow.
- It was a familiar tale, embodying the recent history of India-Sri Lanka contests, as India, with bat and ball, outclassed the visitors to grab a 1-0 lead in the three-match series.
- It was India’s 15th win in 23 T20Is against Sri Lanka.
- Ishan Kishan’s 56-ball 89, his second T20I fifty and highest international score, proved match-defining. He set the tone for India with a boundary-laden powerplay (overs 1-6) and continued to bat with a level of fluency and flamboyance that had been elusive only days ago in the T20I series against the West Indies.
- Shreyas Iyer provided the final flourish to India’s innings with his fourth T20I fifty as he finished unbeaten on 57 off 28 balls to help the home team post 199 for two after being put in to bat by Sri Lanka captain Dasun Shanaka.
- In reply, Sri Lanka fell behind the required run-rate (10 runs per over) quite early in their run-chase and an unbeaten half-century from Charith Asalanka was a small consolation on an otherwise disappointing night overall.
- Deepak Hooda became the 96th T20I player for India after being handed a debut.
- It was India’s 22nd win in 26 T20Is under Rohit Sharma’s captaincy.