Brief scorecard: India 211/4 (Ishan Kishan 76, Shreyas Iyer 36, Hardik Pandya 31*; Wayne Parnell 1/32) lost to South Africa 212/3 (Rassie van der Dussen 75*, David Miller 65*; Axar Patel 1/40) by 7 wickets
Statistical highlights of India vs South Africa 1st T20I 2022
- South Africa registered their highest successful run-chase in T20Is as they hunted down India’s 211 for four and won by seven wickets. It puts them 1-0 up in the five-match series.
- Unbeaten half-centuries from David Miller (64*) and Rassier van der Dussen (75*), and their unbroken 131-run fourth-wicket partnership, helped the Proteas overhaul the target.
- It is India’s fourth T20I defeat in five on home soil against South Africa.
- After being put in to bat by South Africa captain Temba Bavuma, India rode on Ishan Kishan’s 48-ball 76, his third T20I half-century, to notch up the 200-plus total. Kishan was scratchy to start off with but took a liking to Keshav Maharaj and accelerated the scoring as his innings progressed. Hardik Pandya then made an unbeaten 12-ball 31 to take India to 211.
- Indian bowlers pegged back the South African batting through the middle overs but Miller and van der Dussen timed their acceleration to perfection to take the visitors to the target with ease.
- Rishabh Pant, who’s been named skipper in KL Rahul’s absence, is the eighth Indian T20I captain.