Brief scorecard: India 179/5 (Ruturaj Gaikwad 57, Ishan Kishan 54; Dwaine Pretorius 2/29) beat South Africa 131/10 (Heinrich Klaasen 29, Reeza Hendricks 23; Harshal Patel 4/25, Yuzvendra Chahal 3/20) by 48 runs
Statistical highlights of India vs South Africa 3rd T20I 2022
- Indian captain Rishabh Pant said India’s “execution from batters and bowlers” was spot on as it helped them beat South Africa by 48 runs in the third T20 International and keep the five-match series alive 2-1.
- The victory was India’s 10th in 18 T20Is against the Proteas and just their second in seven T20Is against the same opposition on home soil.
- Opening batsmen Ruturaj Gaikwad and Ishan Kishan set the tone for India with their 97-run first-wicket partnership. Gaikwad scored his maiden international fifty (a 35-ball 57), while Kishan made his fourth T20I half-century (a 35-ball 54). Together they helped India motor along at close to 10 runs per over before Gaikwad was prised out by Keshav Maharaj’s left-arm spin.
- The second half of India’s innings yielded only 82 runs for the home team, with Hardik Pandya’s second unbeaten 31 of the series setting South Africa a winning target of 180.
- South Africa’s innings was deprived of momentum throughout as Bhuvneshwar Kumar provided another masterclass in swing bowling, while Yuzvendra Chahal (3 for 20) and Harshal Patel (4 for 25) provided the incision to provide regular breakthroughs that helped India get a stranglehold and seal a 48-run win.
- It was India’s first T20I victory under Pant’s captaincy.