Brief scorecard: India 169/6 (Dinesh Karthik 55, Hardik Pandya 46; Lungi Ngidi 2/20, Anrich Nortje 1/21) beat South Africa 87/10 (Rassie van der Dussen 20; Avesh Khan 4/18, Yuzvendra Chahal 2/21) by 82 runs
Statistical highlights of India vs South Africa 4th T20I 2022
- Dinesh Karthik made his first T20I half-century (a 27-ball 55) and played, arguably, the defining knock to set up a series-leveling 82-run win for India in the fourth T20I at SCA Stadium, Rajkot.
- Karthik shared a 65-run fourth-wicket partnership with Hardik Pandya, who made 46, and the pair catapulted India to 169 for five from 81 for three in the 13th over. Seventy-three runs were scored in the last five overs as the Karthik-Pandya duo combined their game awareness with expert death-hitting skills to find the boundary at will against the likes of Keshav Maharaj, Dwaine Pretorius, and Anrich Nortje.
- The target of 170 proved substantial and way beyond South Africa’s reach as India’s bowlers relished the two-paced nature of the Rajkot pitch to choke up the Proteas batsmen. Rassie van der Dussen top-scored with a run-a-ball 20, but none of the South African batsmen could adapt to the pace and uneven bounce on offer.
- Avesh Khan registered his best T20I bowling figures with four for 18 as his natural length proved to be the most effective for the pitch conditions on offer.
- South Africa were bowled out for their lowest T20I total (87) and the series now moves to Bengaluru for the decider.
- Earlier, Marco Jansen was handed his T20I debut by South Africa, becoming the nation’s 96th player to play T20 international cricket.
- India’s victory was their second under Rishabh Pant’s captaincy and their 11th T20I victory in 19 matches against the Proteas.